What’s On Your Plate?

What’s On Your Plate?

We did this exercise this past week at our staff day away and when I first saw this on the agenda I was kind of scared thinking, oh no, I do have things on my plate that are challenging. We were told to write in the centre of the plate the activities that we do on a daily basis. Oh, relief, that is not so bad at all. My day starts something like this…..computer, yoga, meditation, work, clients, meetings, check email, clients, making dinner, phone calls, etc. and I feel that even though I have an intense day for the most part my days and my life are quite balanced. The question I was worried about was “what’s really on your plate”. I am sure everyone can relate to this as we usually have things that we are dealing with on a daily basis that can be quite challenging. You could be dealing with making a tough decision, avoiding a confrontation or a difficult conversation with someone that needs to happen. Perhaps you are feeling overwhelmed with too much to do and not enough time to do it which is kind of like having too much stuff and not enough space to put it but that’s a blog for another day. Or maybe you have things that are weighing you down like unfinished projects, an ill parent or financial difficulties. I talked to a woman this week who said she “should” finish a baby quilt that she had started. The baby is now three years old. I asked her how she feels when she thinks about this or sees it sitting there and she said she feels guilt and shame and she feels bad about herself as she beats herself up thinking “why haven’t I finished this and why can’t I just do it”. What would happen if she was able to let that go?
You could be dealing with a cat who is exhibiting behaviour problems (as I have been all week) which can be very stressful. $150. later and a recommendation to buy cat food costing twice as much as I usually buy, it is hard not to feel resentful towards this cat whose days may be numbered. Oh, and of course she loves the new cat food and can’t seem to get enough of it. Well, if the problem is corrected it sure will be worth it. Sometimes just dealing with things that are keeping us stuck or being able to let go of something is enough to lighten the mood and help you to feel that you can move on with life or maybe even start a new project. If you can look beyond the to do list, everyday activities we all have to do and really look under all of that…… What’s Really On Your Plate?

About Kimberley

I am a Clutter Coach and an Expert on Clutter, Chronic Disorganization and Hoarding. My passion is working with individuals to help them to clear the physical and emotional clutter in their lives. I facilitate a Clearing Clutter Support Group which has helped hundreds of individuals to make positive changes in their homes and life. I credit the individuals I have met through my work in mental health for teaching me empathy, compassion and that all of us have strengths that can help us to achieve our goals. I work with individuals in their homes as well as offer workshops in the community. I would love to come out to speak to your group on How to Declutter Your Life and Mind.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What’s On Your Plate?

1. Such a good point about taking the things off our plate that are dragging us down and causing us guilt. We all need this reminder from time to time!

• Kimberley says:

Yes, so true Sarah – I love the question “What is really on your plate?” Sometimes we need to look a little deeper. Thank you

This paper plate exercise is a great idea. It could be really revealing, and in some ways I would think renewing. Often we condemn ourselves for not “having it all together”… but when we see how much we are actually trying to handle, it is easier to see that most of us are doing a great job! We are only human and can only deal with so many things at once. The problem isn’t always about being inept, but more often about needing to do a better job with priorities.

• Kimberley says:

Yes, I believe the exercise asked questions about what was happening day to day, and then maybe looking at weekly and then looking at the bigger picture. Priorities certainly do help when everything just feels so overwhelming. Thanks so much for commenting!!

3. Jill Robson says:

I think we all beat our selves up about unfinished projects, I usually take them out one last time and give myself permission to let it go if I know I will never get to it. Sometimes you just have to get over the guilt and move on.

• Kimberley says:

Oh yes Jill, I love this. It can be so hard to let go of projects that were dreams that we had of doing something, but it can also be so freeing to just say “yes, I can let this go”.

4. Andi Willis says:

I had a business coach once who frequently said stop “should-ing” all over yourself. I think women frequently feel the need to live up to a certain expectation and that’s where all the shoulds come from. We need to give ourselves a break and take a few of those things off our plates.

• Kimberley says:

I agree Andi!! I am always aware of when I am saying “I should” and I quickly correct myself if it is something I really want to do. Otherwise, I try hard not to do too much that I really don’t want to. It can really lead to resentment not to mention many other things.

5. This short post does a good job of demonstrating how interrelated activity clutter, physical clutter, and mental clutter can be.

• Kimberley says:

Thanks Hazel, I didn’t really think about it like that but what a great point. It is all so interrelated and often creates a lot of stress that could be alleviated if we had more awareness, of what we are doing with our time, space and thoughts, etc.