I recently did a workshop at my workplace WOTCH My Sisters’ Place Micro Enterprise ME Program and in thinking about some of their challenges this is what I came up with:
1. Plan to Organize: Schedule time to organize even if it is just 15 minutes at a time. Clear a staging area. Keep, Donate, Sell, Recycle, Shred and Throw Away.
2. Sorting: Make quick decisions. If you don’t love it, use it, get rid of it. Touch it once and make the call.
3. Shopping: Not always in your best interest to run out and purchase tote boxes, etc. It is better to take your time and think about what you might need. A clue might be that if you continue to put things in a certain area and a pile accumulates, this might be an area where a container or basket could be helpful.
4. If a space has been cleared there is no need to rush into filling it up. Take your time and enjoy it. Allow breathing space on shelves (gives you room to grow) Think about how you want it to look and function. Don’t worry about making a mistake. It is a process and can always be tweaked.
5. Everything needs a home. Group like things together. Then you know that when you are looking for a battery or a power cord, you know where to look. Simplify your life!!
6. Daily maintenance….Putting things back at the end of the day. Seasonal Purging: Start with the present and get rid of out of date catalogs, magazines, keep any relevant articles.