Can you relate to this?
Do you need some motivation to go through your clothing and de-clutter what you no longer wear, love or even fits? Are you having difficulty on a daily basis trying to figure out what to wear? Are you often running late, trying on clothes only to look in the mirror and think “uh, NO” only to throw it on the floor into a growing pile. UGH!!
I had an interesting experience with a friend who helped me with some de-cluttering. It was really eye opening to be on this side of the fence and has been very helpful to me in working with others.
My friend asked if she could look in my front closet? She had me try on some of the many coats I had in there. She would then ask me “what do you think?, “how does this make you feel”, “does it fit” and “does it make you feel like a queen?” In most cases, as I tried on each piece of clothing, I would shrug my shoulders and my response was “meh” and the item ended up on the floor in a pile. She said that if it didn’t fit or didn’t make me feel like a queen then it had to go. As I watched the growing pile for donation on the floor she asked me “from what is left in your closet, what do you have that makes you feel powerful and in charge of your life” I looked around and I had to say it was my cloak which she had me put on. I walked around a bit swinging my cloak and looking and feeling like a million bucks. I was really owning my space and the world. My cloak makes me feel like a queen and in charge of my life but of course I can’t wear that every day.
Here is a picture of me in my cloak with my friend Beth (I am the one on the left. This was taken a number of years ago, but of course, is one of my favourites)
Some great tips for Decluttering your Clothes:
- Try on each piece of clothing. How does it make you feel? Does it make you feel like a queen? In charge of your life? If not, get rid of it.
- Clothing that no longer fits. Too big or too small. Even if your body changes, you may need something different or that fits better. See #1
- Clothing that needs to be mended. Are you going to get around to doing that alteration or has it been sitting in a pile for way too long? I got rid of a pile of clothes that needed to be mended because I just didn’t feel like spending the time doing it.
- Clothing from this past season that you didn’t wear? Why didn’t you wear it? As you know we wear 20% of our clothing 80% of the time. If you don’t love it, likely you won’t wear it next season either.
- Throw out anything that is looking old, with stains or broken zippers, etc. At the end of the season throw out old worn out boots or footwear. You are going to need new ones for next year anyway. Easy peasy, right?
- Sentimental items. It can be hard to let go of a piece of clothing, boots, shoes or a purse that you have really loved. But, if the item is old, worn out, doesn’t fit, etc. maybe it has served its purpose….thank the item and let it go. Take a picture if you are worried you will forget about the item.
- Going through your clothing will help you to see what you have, what you might need and also will give you so many more options for getting dressed in the morning.
Do you have some great tips for decluttering your clothing? Please share in the comments……