Do You Want To Be The Queen Of Your Home?

Or maybe the King?  Do you know what you want for your home and your life?  How do you feel when you walk into a room?  What do you notice?  Do you find yourself shrugging your shoulders, just letting out a big sigh and walking away closing the door on your way out?  What are the thoughts that follow……..”I just don’t know where to start, what to do and really, what is the use…….I can’t do it……… I am just so tired” ugh!!

Years ago I had a friend who is a Feng Shui Expert come into my home and she witnessed me doing all of those things.  I had a roommate at the time and I wasn’t happy about it,  no privacy,  unfinished renovations in my home, too much clutter……all the things.  She said I was acting like a 16 year old who didn’t know what she wanted.  And she was right.  So, I had to put on my cloak (more about that here) and get it together.  It was time to set some boundaries and make some changes in my home and in my life.

Where in your home or life do you feel like you know what you want or need?  Where are you in charge? What is this energy like for you?  Tap into that energy.

Because you are the one that gets to decide!

You are in charge!

I am in charge of my kitchen .Yes, I am the cook in my home and I am good with that.  I want to eat as healthy as possible so I get to plan our meals.  This is my domain.  I shop for our food and cook our meals.  I have a really small kitchen so it is important to me to keep things as organized as possible.  I need to know where things are when I need them.  Thankfully, my partner cleans up after my cooking fiascos. Haha!  Did I mention I love to cook?  Actually,  I just love to eat healthy food.  Shhh!!

What areas are yours and yours alone? Where are you most in charge? Would love to hear from you………

Would you like some help with this? I can help you to gain clarity, make room for what matters most and help you to make progress with your decluttering goals. Accountability will help you to develop the skills and behaviours needed to move forward in your home and life. Lets talk……Sign up for a 30 minute exploratory call with me here

About Kim

Kim Tremblay is a Master Organizer and a Clutter Coach. She has worked with individuals helping them clear the physical and emotional clutter from their lives since 2008. Kim founded and co-facilitated a Clearing Clutter Support Group which has helped hundreds of individuals to make positive changes in their lives. Kim is currently working virtually with clients helping them to clear the emotional and/or physical clutter from their lives.
This entry was posted in Organizing. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Do You Want To Be The Queen Of Your Home?

1. Determination and knowing what you want are so important. Sometimes I don’t know what I want, which creates frustration and anxiety. This is an important topic to understand. We own our home! We should own our space too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Yes, knowing what we want is so important and can be so challenging. We need to take the time to focus on ourselves and really listen. Journalling can help but loving ourselves really comes first.

The kitchen is mine. Some women complain that their husbands don’t cook, but not me. I like having my kitchen a specific way, so I’m happy to do the cooking and cleaning up.

My husband gets the unfinished basement and his office. I try to stay out of those spaces, because we have differing “styles,” and those spaces are not comfortable for me. The other public spaces are neutral, but I honestly have the most influence there.

I think dividing spaces can be very healthy for a marriage, or for anyone cohabitating!

3. Lucy Kelly says:

Yes to all this, Kim! Especially: “Because you are the one that gets to decide! You get to make decisions about what goes in your personal space, what goes out, who is invited in, who visits and what happens in your space. You are in charge!”

Overwhelmed, many people are living in space where clutter is queen – time to take back your own power and show clutter who really rules the roost!

Hi Lucy, So true! We sure don’t want clutter to be Queen. We need to take back our power over our home, space and belongings.

4. How we feel in our homes affects everything. I love how boldly you ask, “Are you the “queen” or “king” of your home?” I think it’s often the situation that we accept how things are and give up. But once we realize we have agency over our choices, spaces, and lives, it’s a game changer. The overwhelm or ‘not seeing’ can contribute to not doing anything. But it’s incredible what happens when small shifts begin. From there major changes happen, which is amazing to help facilitate and see.

One of the spaces that is completely mine is my office. Several years ago, my husband helped me design a totally “Linda” space…complete with my favorite colors, textures, and storage for all of my office stuff. I love working and being at my desk, and how I’ve leaned into my preferences to create a space that supports who I am, what I do, and how I work and create.

Hi Linda,
      Yes, I remember seeing the transformation and your beautiful office space. Its so great when we have spaces that are totally our own. Yes, to realizing we have choices about how we think and feel.

5. Julie Bestry says:

On the plus side, 100% of my space is dedicated to me, as opposed to another actual human. But I do recognize that sometimes, my space is dedicated to another version of me: the nostalgic me, the aspirational me, the me I would be if I were even remotely interested in cooking (which I am so NOT). I know what I want, which (honestly) is to be king of my domain to the point that I can call upon the royal coffers to hire someone else to do all the labor. (Yes, I should want to be queen, but ever since I was a child, the bossiness of the king resonated more than the regal serenity of a queen.) But all that aside, your advice is spot-on. We need to recognize that we are grownups and can live by our own rules, but we actually have to set them rather than just fall into them.

6. Jill Katz says:

Yes – this is our space so we should OWN IT! I love the power of your statement about being the Queen or King of your home. Remembering that we have the power to change our life and our space can be extremely motivating. We don’t have to remain stuck in the present version of our space.

7. Drawing on the power you feel when you’re at your most powerful to fuel decluttering and organizing is a great technique! I love any new ways of helping clients over the hurdle of insecurity. Great stuff!