What Can You Do in Ten Minutes?

This is a popular challenge that we practice in the Declutter Your Life and Mind Group and members love it……because it is so much easier to think about 10 minutes at a time to do a task.

I often will do a few things when I have a couple of minutes……

As I wait for the kettle to boil…..I will put the dishes from the drainboard away

When I am on the phone……I often will do a few things to clean up as I chat away (usually with my mom)

If I am waiting for a ride and they are late…..I will straighten up my landing area

Heading outside for a walk….I will take my grocery bags, donations or other things out to my car on the way

What can you do in Ten Minutes???

Some 10 minute task ideas:

• straighten up your bookcase – maybe even taking out a few books to donate
  • quick bathroom cleanup
  • make the bed
  • clean up the kitty litter or kitty’s food area
  • put away the clean laundry
  • fill/empty dishwasher
  • hang up the clothes that are draped over the chair and not quite ready for the laundry
  • take out the garbage and recycling
  • work on the weeks menu and grocery list

Remember that those small steps lead to bigger steps. Success with those small steps help us to feel confident about what we are doing and help us to know that we can do it.

Amazing Right?  The importance of smaller steps Seriously, you can do so much more than you think…….

Surprise Yourself – It’s really quite amazing when you see what you can do in ten minutes.  Let’s do this!

What can you do in 10 minute increments?  Are you up for the challenge? #10minutechallenge Would love to hear from you.

Would you like some help to jumpstart your decluttering goals and to make an amazing difference in your home? Send me a message at kimtremblay@sympatico.ca and we can set something up.

About Kim

Kim Tremblay is a Master Organizer and a Clutter Coach. She has worked with individuals helping them clear the physical and emotional clutter from their lives since 2008. Kim founded and co-facilitated a Clearing Clutter Support Group which has helped hundreds of individuals to make positive changes in their lives. Kim is currently working virtually with clients helping them to clear the emotional and/or physical clutter from their lives. Kim is available to speak to your group about all things organizing.
This entry was posted in Organizing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to What Can You Do in Ten Minutes?

1. Many tasks take less time than we think they will! I’ve been accumulating a pile on my dresser of stuff to take to my sister’s next time I go – and of course, it keeps growing. Our upcoming visit has been postponed for a couple of weeks, and I definitely don’t want to look at it that long, so I bagged it all and put it in my closet until I go – it took maybe three minutes, including time to find a suitable bag. Now, I just need to remember to take it with me!

Hi Janet,
      They really do! I once had a “to do” task on my list and I kept moving it every week. Finally, I just did it and it took 20 minutes. Done and done!

2. Sarah says:

Just took a load in to Goodwill this week and starting on another load. I just get a box and even if I just take one drawer at a time ( less than 10 minutes) I’ve decluttered one drawer.

3. I agree, Kim. It’s possible to accomplish a lot in a mere 10-minute segment of time.

4. Doing things in 10-minute or less bites is huge. One of the things I do is to pick up items as I pass through an area and either put them away or get them closer to where they need to go. Sometimes I stage an upcoming chore to help move it along. For example, this morning I pulled out the drain clog bottle and put it by the sink in my bathroom. Sometime later today I will pour it in and then put on the tea kettle to heat the water to pour down. In steps this chore will get done today.

Hi Jonda,
      That is so great and I can relate to that as well. I love when I have days at home and can just putter around and get things done. Thanks

5. One of the best organizing secrets, although perhaps not so secret anymore, is making use of the small time blocks. It’s rare that we have unlimited, uninterrupted time to get everything organized or maintained. So integrating those tiny time blocks as part of your regular habit is significant. As you said, it will lead to greater organizing success. Small actions lead to big results. You gave such great examples too. Love them!

I’m loving the idea to hang up the clothes hanging on the back of the chair. Talk about an “instantly less cluttered look!” It is amazing to realize that 10 minutes is actually a decent chunk of time, especially if we stay focused for the entire 10 minutes. Might tackle of few of these this week now that I have your list before my eyes. 🙂

7. I don’t often wait for a kettle to boil, but I do wait for my microwave to beep. And that’s how I keep my kitchen de-cluttered, in those few minutes, several times a day. I also use the Reminders app on my iPhone to remind me to do daily tasks (like litter boxes) that take no more than a few minutes each.

8. I am a big fan of taking those few minutes to “straighten up.” When the kids were little, my husband traveled a lot. These tasks were my little wins within the chaos of two little ones. Thanks for sharing!

9. Doing something for 10 minutes is also a great way to get un-stuck if you’re having procrastination problems. Often if you set a timer to do something for 5 or 10 minutes, you’ll find yourself on a roll and not want to stop!

I totally agree Katherine – My favourite is the Pomodoro Technique. I use it all the time especially for writing as it is so easy to get distracted. Thanks for responding 🙂

10. Jill Katz says:

I love 10 minute tasks because they make me feel so accomplished! My favorite thing is to break down a larger project into a bunch of 10 minute tasks so it doesn’t seem so daunting. Some things I do in 10 minute increments:
    Make a host of doctor’s appointments for myself and my family (even the dog)
    Order a bunch of items needed around the house like cleaning supplies
    Plan for the next day