How are you doing with your UFO’s? Unfinished Objects/Projects

Some of you know that I started a fun project awhile ago.  After cleaning out my parents home, I agreed to take all of my mom’s collectable spoons.  My mom picked one up on every trip she went on with my dad and I am sure that once people knew she was collecting them, friends and family started giving them to her as gifts as well.

And this wasn’t even all of them – yes there were more!

I decided to take all of them.  I know right?  What was I thinking?  I have seen that some people have made mobiles with them and I thought that maybe I could gift them or make some myself.

I decided to challenge myself to get back into working on a creative project.  I researched on Pinterest and then went out to a few charity shops looking for toppers for my new creations.

This is what I found
It was so much fun finding these cool toppers!

I was thoroughly enjoying working on my new project until…….I wasn’t.

Can you relate to that?  Have you ever started a project only to get bored, lose interest, feel deflated and just unable to continue for whatever reason?

I made six wind chimes and I love all of them and I loved making them but I lost interest.  I had high expectations that gifting these to family members would help heal some misunderstandings, however, it didn’t quite turn out that way.  Yes, I felt deflated and no longer inspired to continue.

We kept this one which is in our kitchen window
My Favourite – Gifted to my son
Gifted to a family member
Gifted to a Neighbour
Not gifted yet
Gifting to a neighbour

So, the project ended up just sitting on the dining room table for weeks and weeks, maybe over a month.  Ugh!! And…..then…… this week I decided to challenge myself to get back to it. I just finished the sixth one which I will gift to another neighbour. I really have enjoyed working on these wind chimes so I will gift them to friends and neighbours who I know will appreciate them.

What about you?  Do you have a lot of unfinished projects lying around?  Are you going to make a plan to finish them or do you just look at them and think…..”someday” I will get around to it and finish it.  When you look at your unfinished projects……..How do they make you feel? Do you want to finish them?

Remember: Unfinished projects = Clutter

Will you donate any unfinished objects or make a plan to finish your project? Please let me know in the comments below………

Did you know you can still work with me one on one for an hourly rate? Yes, just $50.00 per hour and I can help you to make a plan, gain some insight and move forward with your sorting, organizing and decluttering. Let’s do this! Just send me a quick email at kimtremblay@sympatico.ca and we can set up a date.

Happy Decluttering

About Kim

Kim Tremblay is a Master Organizer and a Clutter Coach. She has worked with individuals helping them clear the physical and emotional clutter from their lives since 2008. Kim founded and co-facilitated a Clearing Clutter Support Group which has helped hundreds of individuals to make positive changes in their lives. Kim is currently working virtually with clients helping them to clear the emotional and/or physical clutter from their lives. Kim is available to speak to your group about all things organizing.
This entry was posted in acquiring items, Clutter, families, goal setting, Inspiration and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to How are you doing with your UFO’s? Unfinished Objects/Projects

Well I just love the wind chimes you made. What a fun way to upcycle your Mom’s collection!

I always have a few UFOs lying around. It’s true that they make clutter! If I’m “in process” on a project, I don’t mind the mess. But if a project has been abandoned, it gets to me. Worse is projects others in my home have abandoned. Ugh!

Great challenge this morning to get back on board and get moving!

Thanks Seana,
      Yes, there is a difference between in process and abandonment which would = clutter. And more of a challenge when you have other creatives in the home as well. So glad I could challenge you to get back on board 🙂

2. I love the UFO acronym for those unfinished objects or projects as much as the unique way you repurposed your mom’s spoon collection!

I don’t like having unfinished projects, but I am human, so of course I have them. However, I don’t leave them out. Instead, I set a cue on my task list to attend to them and have them filed or stored away until I’m ready to work on them. But I’ve also noticed that if enough time passes and I keep postponing, I begin to question whether I want to continue. Sometimes I opt to let go, recognizing that what was important at one point is no longer worth my time or attention.

Hi Linda,
      Wow, you have a very good organized system for getting things done. I am so impressed. I think it is so good to reassess whether we want or will continue working on a project.I have let go of a few UFO’s.

3. Julie Bestry says:

What lovely wind chimes, and what a suitable way to finish your projects and give joy to others.

I’m not really a project person. I despise crafts and just am not handy. But I’ve experienced this same thing with writing projects, where I’ve just lost steam. They’re not tangible, per se, but some of my research is in file folders, and so I’ve learned that keeping things out to tempt you to use them isn’t the way to go. Giving yourself permission to let go of a project is the best gift you can grant yourself; it’s making room in the present and the future by not dragging the past along.

Thanks Julie
      I love this “I’ve learned that keeping things out to tempt you to use them isn’t the way to go. Giving yourself permission to let go of a project is the best gift you can grant yourself”. This needs to be a quote (or two quotes) from you. So good!

4. I have a couple of UFO needlepoint projects. One is a picture of the face of a golden retriever – it looks like Miles. When he was alive it was fun to work on. I put it aside when he died and don’t have it in me to pick it up yet. I will get to it when I’m finished with the intense grief I still feel for him. For now, it is tucked away in a needlepoint bag up on a high shelf.

Wow Diana,
      Totally get that as a reason why sometimes we get stalled on a project or maybe not able to get back to it at all. Our pets are such an important part of our family and I just really can feel that grief for you. You will know when you are ready to take the next step. Hugs to you