Does this title confuse you? Do you think there is magic in decluttering? On the one hand there can be a lot of pleasure in acquiring things and on the other hand what do your do with all of this stuff…….. like, now what??? Could be “where do I put this, or perhaps it ends up staying in the bag, or I don’t want to look at my bank account or ………??? ” What are your thoughts? It can be so very complex, so conflicting and confusing for sure.
Do you have a love/hate relationship with your stuff? Do you love to get stuff, give stuff, stuff is pretty, makes me happy but….then I have to live with stuff, move stuff, clean stuff, have too much stuff, makes my home feel cluttered, can’t find my stuff.
No wonder it is so hard to let go and to deal with all of that stuff that comes into our lives. If you are bringing stuff in on a regular basis and not letting go of anything in your home eventually you will run into difficulties. It is not about getting more space, more storage and more bins to put stuff in. You need to have a good flow happening in your home. Things coming in, things going out. It can be the same with finances, right. We need to have money coming in so that the money can then go out to pay those bills or to purchase what we need or want.
If you have too much stuff, you will need to purge. I know, that’s not what you wanted to hear. BUT…..”You don’t need more space. You need less stuff.” Joshua Becker from https://www.becomingminimalist.com
So, what are the benefits of decluttering? Is there really some magic to decluttering? These are some of the comments from the participants in the Declutter Your Life and Mind Private Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeclutterYourLifeandMind/ Lightness, peace, freedom, accomplishment, pleased, happy, proud, cleanliness, space, lighter, less to clean, feeling more in control, enjoy your space, taking control of my space (rather than my space controlling me), able to find things, improved emotional health, less impulsive spending, less trip hazards. Pretty Awesome right?
The Magic of Decluttering (my tips)
- More Healthy – Think about it. If you are more organized in your kitchen, you will have some counter space to create a meal or make a sandwich, you are able to make healthier meals, you will use up those leftovers, you won’t have food that has expired as long as you are not buying too much and you can save money by not wasting food or eating out. You might even have some time to head out for a walk after a meal.
- Less Distractions – Which means rather than putting out fires you have more time for other things. You will have more time to just be, to think, to dream, be more creative or maybe to read a book. It’s not all about decluttering. You get to decide what to focus your energies on.
- Less Anxiety/Stress – There is no question that clutter causes us anxiety and stress. Who needs it? Right? You will feel calmer just because you can find your keys, you are not tripping over the cat and you are able to find what to wear with no problem. You can give yourself permission to breathe, to ground yourself and to have a little time to get to the next thing without rushing. Ahh!! So awesome 🙂
- More Energy Flow – I think it is so important to have that energy flow in your home. It keeps things fresh. When something comes in, something goes out. We need to have this flow happening in all areas of our lives. We do not want things to become stagnant and that is what happens when there is no flow. Think about that “stuck energy” in your home. I am sure we all have it. Let’s allow our stuff and our homes to breathe.
- More Intuition and Clarity – It can be such a big question to think about what we want for ourselves, our families and our homes. But, just to have that time and space and to trust our intuition to allow what we need in our lives. So important to begin this process and to be able to make some decisions and to trust that it is okay.
- More Finances – Yes, this is such a great benefit to decluttering. I could not believe how many people responded to “Have you ever found money or gift cards when decluttering? Do tell?” in the private and closed FB Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeclutterYourLifeandMind/ So many people found money after a loved one had passed or even in their own belongings. You will not be out buying items that you know you might already have but cannot find (been there myself). Just paying attention to your finances can make such a huge difference. Watching what you are spending, paying your bills, doing your taxes, watching your dollars add up in savings – its all good!!
I am sure there are so many more benefits to decluttering your life and mind. I wold love to hear yours as well. Please sign up here http://eepurl.com/dsz4PP so that you never miss a post and please leave a comment. Thank you so much for your support. Happy Decluttering and Much Gratitude to all of you.