What is your Resistance to Clearing the Clutter?

What is your resistance to clearing the clutter?

What do you think holds you back from moving forward?  I believe these three things are tied together.

• Resistance
  • Your Inner Critic
  • Limiting Beliefs

Resistance

Think about something that you have wanted to do, you think about doing it but can’t seem to get started.  Maybe it is something that has been on your to do list forever.

What thoughts come up for you?  The reasons why you can’t do it – limited budget, lack of time, too many commitments, the goal is too big, no related skills, etc.

All of these can be just excuses which = resistance to change which can = clutter

When you say you want to make a change but take no action to support it….what are you saying about yourself?  “I am not important enough, my needs don’t matter,  others needs are more important than mine”.  What else?

Your Inner Critic

• Is not a fan of change
  • Wants to keep you safe
  • Likes to stay where things feel familiar and comfortable
  • Does not want to rock the boat
  • Is a loving little liar
  • Is scared so she makes up all kinds of excuses so you won’t make progress

The clutter she thinks you can’t handle could be keeping you from getting that great job, meeting a new partner, or improving your health. It’s not the clutter your inner critic wants to hold onto, it’s the fear of change and the protection from what feels like a big scary goal.

I have a great example of this.  I was scheduled to present a one and a half hour workshop on this very topic which was coming up in a couple of weeks.  I was driving to work one day and was thinking about this and thinking “oh no, why did I sign up to do this, what was I thinking, what do I really know anyway?”  Fear was setting in but I knew right away that this was just my little scared self and my inner critic wanting to keep me safe and inside my comfort zone.  Knowing this can really help you to feel like you can move forward and take some risks even if they are scary.

Limiting Beliefs

Some examples of limiting beliefs are things like excuses (see above), negative thoughts, worries, beliefs from the past ie: family values, past failures, fears, etc.

You can see how these three areas are similar and are tied together.

The way to overcome the challenges of your own limiting beliefs is to change them to something new, a new belief.  Remember, you have learned the lessons from the past and are ready to move on and ready for new experiences and new empowering beliefs.

You have to be able to give it up…..for example:  you could say “I’m done with that, I’m ready for the lesson and I have learned from it.  Thank you I am ready to experience something new.  I am ready to move on.

Are you ready to let go of your resistance to clearing?  What stops you in your tracks?  Please share in the comments below.

About Kimberley

I am a Clutter Coach and an Expert on Clutter, Chronic Disorganization and Hoarding. My passion is working with individuals to help them to clear the physical and emotional clutter in their lives. I facilitate a Clearing Clutter Support Group which has helped hundreds of individuals to make positive changes in their homes and life. I credit the individuals I have met through my work in mental health for teaching me empathy, compassion and that all of us have strengths that can help us to achieve our goals. I work with individuals in their homes as well as offer workshops in the community. I would love to come out to speak to your group on How to Declutter Your Life and Mind.
This entry was posted in Emotional Clutter, goal setting, Inspiration, Organizing, space clearing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What is your Resistance to Clearing the Clutter?

That inner critic is such a nuisance! I hear clients battling that voice all the time, and I certainly have my own struggles (not so much with clearing clutter, but with other things.) Sometimes we need another voice to tell us that we are believing a lie, and that can help us move on.

• Kimberley says:

Yes, that is so true. It is such a sneaky little devil but once we can recognize what is going on it can help us to change the thought and yes, move on. Thank you for your comment

2. I can really relate to this. There have been many times I’ve approached a new project with the fear that I’ve taken on more than I can handle. In some cases, I’ve turned around and said I couldn’t do it after all, but most of the time I proceed and it all works out great. You’d think that would make it less scary the next time, but it doesn’t seem to!

• Kimberley says:

Wow, Janet that is so awesome – you are a trooper for sure. You challenge yourself and go for it. and yes, I agree, you’d think it would make it less scary but it sure doesn’t feel like it. I think we are gaining more confidence all the time though, maybe its just not always so noticeable. Thanks for commenting.

3. Limiting beliefs can really hamper our efforts in any area. It’s hard to break down those barriers and really dream big but it’s usually really worth it!

4. Kimberley says:

Hi Hilda, Thanks for your comment. I definitely need to work on my limiting beliefs. They are so old and ingrained so can take a bit of work and attention but yes so worth it. 🙂

5. I love the way you’ve distilled these ideas around clearing clutter to three ideas: resistance, inner critic, and limiting beliefs. And whether it’s clearing clutter or other issues we have around change, these ideas definitely apply. Sometimes we actively and happily embrace change. But more often than not, fear and uncertainty take over, making it challenging to move forward…be it clutter clearing, accepting a speaking gig, or changing jobs. The idea of drawing on past successes can help. And frankly, just acknowledging that resistance to “different” is normal and human can also help. From there we can breathe deeply and allow ourselves to take a risk, be open to an opportunity, and make way for growth.

Good luck with your presentation! This is a relevant topic and I know your group will receive tremendous value from all that you will be sharing.

• Kimberley says:

Thanks so much Linda – Yes, challenging ourselves can be so hard and stepping into that fear is so scary that the temptation is to avoid it at all costs. Usually, what we imagine isn’t as bad as we think. Honestly, I have had a lot of fear around speaking in public. Usually, once I get going its okay. I hope the presentation goes well.

6. I think what stops me is the lack of time to think, what do I want to get rid of? When I rush around doing busy work, I don’t have time to stop and plan what I want to purge. When I have a few minutes, I ask myself, “what can I declutter now?” This gives me focus and insight on what areas need revisiting.

• Kimberley says:

Yes, I agree Sabrina. I love it when I have the time to do this work. If I have a whole day ahead of me, and I am at home, I am in my happy place and can get so much done. We sure do need time to think though and just to be able to pay attention to what we want and need in that moment. I find yoga to be helpful to me in that respect. Helps me to have a great day 🙂